Saturday, July 18, 2009
Wyoming
Without question the highlights of our trip were our little family climbing Independence Rock, taking our handcart back into Martin's Cove and crossing the Sweetwater River. I had never been up in that area, but I had heard lots of church history stories about the Martin and Willie Handcart Companies. I didn't realize that in this area four major pioneer trails actually cross...the Oregon Trail, the Mormon Trail, the Pony Express, and the California Trail. (There is just so much history there!) It was a great experience and one that I am glad our family could take part in. (Definately worth the drive if you are thinking about it)
Sweetwater River
Walker's cross the Sweetwater! This was so neat, we actually pulled our handcart through the sweetwater. (I carried Lucas on my back because the water went up about upper-thigh on me) Since it was just our little family, 3 teenage boys from a trekking group stayed behind to help us across. (This was so neat!)


Shelbi took a few pictures of a "kid's eye view of a handcart trek". It just cracked me up so I had to post it! Kids are just too honest sometimes...poor thing, imagine 41/2 hours of that!
The Devil's Gate
My little family...
I love this picture...climbing Independence Rock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Girlfriend!!! How did I not know you had a blog too?!
I am happy to find it.
Love you.
Margaret
Oh my goodness! I can't believe you and Kevin pulled that handcart! For some reason when you were describing it to me today, I didn't picture it being so big-like it's a real handcart!!! I'm so impressed!
Hey Diana,
That looks like an amazing experience. Thanks for posting about it. We have been talking a lot about the pioneers the last few weeks. (Jon and I had to speak in church about pioneers last week.)
Post a Comment